Scrapbookpages Blog

September 23, 2016

Josef Mengele wasn’t just whistling Dixie…

Filed under: Germany, Holocaust — Tags: , , , , — furtherglory @ 4:57 pm
Dr. Josef Mengele is the good looking guy on the far left

Dr. Josef Mengele is the good looking guy on the far left side

Notice that I did not give Josef Mengele his title of Dr. even though he had two doctorates. Mengele is never given his titles because he is alleged to have sent thousands of people to the gas chamber while he was whistling music by Mozart.

He even gave hair ribbons to some of the little girls. What a mean person he was! To send little girls to the gas chamber wearing ribbons in their hair!

The following quote is from a news article that you can read at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/23/auschwitz-survivor-describes-how-dr-mengele-whistled-mozart-as-h/

Dr. Josef Mengele

Dr. Josef Mengele

An Israeli artist who survived Auschwitz as a child has told how Dr Josef Mengele used to whistle Mozart as he chose who would be sent to die in the gas chambers.

“He must have loved Mozart, because if he was bored during the selection he always whistled Mozart,” Yehuda Bacon said.

The 87-year-old Mr Bacon was one of the so-called “Birkenau Boys” selected by Dr Mengele to work as forced labourers at Auschwitz.

He has spoken out about his experiences at the extermination camp in a new book published in Germany.

End quote

Dr. Josef Mengele arrived at Auschwitz Birkenau in early May 1943, just at the time that the second typhus epidemic at Birkenau was starting. Dr. Mengele himself contracted typhus while he was at Birkenau.

Dr. Mengele was nicknamed the “Angel of Death” by the prisoners because he had the face of an angel, yet he allegedly made selections for the gas chambers at Birkenau.

He was noted for being nice to the children in the camp, yet he allegedly experimented on them as though they were laboratory rats.

He volunteered to do the selections at Birkenau, even when it wasn’t his turn, because he wanted to find subjects for his medical research on genetic conditions and hereditary diseases, which he had already begun before the war. He particularly wanted to find twins for the research that he had started before he was posted to Birkenau.

Dr. Mengele was well known by all the prisoners because of his good looks and charm. According to Gerald L. Posner and John Ware, the authors of “Mengele, the Complete Story,” many of the children in the Birkenau camp “adored Mengele” and called him “Uncle Pepi.” This information came from Vera Alexander, a survivor of Birkenau, who said that Dr. Mengele brought chocolate and the most beautiful clothes for the children, including hair ribbons for the little girls.

Dr. Mengele had a Ph.D. in Anthropology as well as a degree in medicine, which he received in July 1938 from the University of Frankfurt. He earned his Ph.D. in 1935 with a thesis on “Racial Morphological Research on the Lower Jaw Section of Four Racial Groups.” [So he knew that there were physical differances between the racial groups.]

In January 1937, Dr. Mengele was appointed a research assistant at the Institute for Heredity, Biology and Racial Purity at the University of Frankfurt. He worked under Professor Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer, a geneticist who was doing research on twins.

As the war-time director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute of Anthropology, Human Hereditary Teaching Genetics, located in Berlin, von Verschuer secured the funds for Mengele’s experiments at Auschwitz. The results of Mengele’s research on twins was sent to this Institute. The grant for Mengele’s genetic research was authorized by the German Research Council in August 1943.

Olga Lengyel, a prisoner at the Birkenau camp, wrote in her book entitled “Five Chimneys” that she had heard about Dr. Mengele from the other inmates before she saw him. Lengyel wrote that she had heard that Dr. Mengele was “good-looking” but she was surprised by how “really handsome” he was. Lengyel wrote, regarding Dr. Mengele: “Though he was making decisions that meant extermination, he was as pleasantly smug as any man could be.”

Lengyel described how Dr. Mengele would take all the correct medical precautions while delivering a baby at Auschwitz, yet only a half hour later, he would send the mother and baby to be gassed and burned in the crematorium.

Lengyel herself was selected for the gas chamber, but managed to break away from the group of women who had been selected, before the truck arrived to take the prisoners to the crematorium.

The first systematic selection for the gas chambers at Birkenau was allegedly made when a transport of Jews arrived at Auschwitz on July 4, 1942. The train stopped a short distance from the Auschwitz train station at a wooden platform called the “Judenrampe,” where the selection process took place.

The Jews who were considered fit to work were marched to the Auschwitz main camp, which was close to the Judenrampe. There they were given a shower, their heads were shaved, a number was tattooed on their left forearm, and a registration card was made for them.

Those who were not considered fit for work were taken immediately by truck from the Judenrampe to two make-shift gas chambers at Birkenau, which were located in two converted farm houses called “the little red house” and “the little white house.”

At least 75% of the Jews in each transport of 2,000 to 3,000 prisoners were deemed unfit for work and were destined for the gas chamber. The little red house, also known as Bunker 1, had a capacity of 800 people in two rooms and the little white house, called Bunker 2, had a capacity of 1,200 in four rooms.

The first systematic selection for the gas chambers at Birkenau was made when a transport of Jews arrived at Auschwitz on July 4, 1942. The train stopped a short distance from the Auschwitz train station at a wooden platform called the “Judenrampe,” where the selection process took place. The Jews who were considered fit to work were marched to the Auschwitz main camp, which was close to the Judenrampe. There they were given a shower, their heads were shaved, a number was tattooed on their left forearm, and a registration card was made for them.

Those who were not considered fit for work were taken immediately by truck from the Judenrampe to two make-shift gas chambers at Birkenau, which were located in two converted farm houses called “the little red house” and “the little white house.” At least 75% of the Jews in each transport of 2,000 to 3,000 prisoners were deemed unfit for work and were destined for the gas chamber. The little red house, also known as Bunker 1, had a capacity of 800 people in two rooms and the little white house, called Bunker 2, had a capacity of 1,200 in four rooms.

All of the incoming prisoners were told that they would first be given a shower; the prisoners who were selected for work took a real shower, but the rest were taken by trucks to the two old farm houses, where the gas chambers were disguised as shower rooms.

The little white house was located on the west side of the Birkenau camp, behind the Central Sauna which was completed in 1943, and near Krema IV. The Central Sauna got its name because this was the location of the iron chambers where the prisoners’ clothing was disinfected with hot steam. The Central Sauna also contained a shower room with 50 shower heads.

The little red house was located north of where Krema V was built in 1943. Both Krema IV and Krema V allegedly had homicidal gas chambers, disguised as shower rooms, where Zyklon-B gas pellets were thrown through the outside windows, killing the unsuspecting victims inside.

Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler visited Auschwitz-Birkenau on July 17 and 18, 1942 and watched the gassing of 449 women and children in Bunker No. 1, according to his biographer Peter Padfield.

On July 23, 1942, Himmler ordered the quarantine of the Birkenau camp because of a typhus epidemic, but the gassing of the Jews allegedly continued.

On December 28, 1942, Himmler issued an order that the death rate “must be reduced at all costs” according to document 2172-PS that was introduced at the Nuremberg IMT. He meant the death rate from typhus, of course; the gassing of the Jews did not stop.

End of story

 

 

 

 

October 9, 2015

On this day in 1981, Holocaust deniers were defeated in court

Filed under: Uncategorized — Tags: , , , , — furtherglory @ 8:49 am

The case of Moshe Mermelstein vs. a denial group wound up pulling the rug out from under the feet of Holocaust deniers.

This headline is on the news article which I quoted above:

A U.S. Court rules that the Jews were gassed in Auschwitz

The following quote is from the news article:

On October 9, 1981, Judge Thomas T. Johnson of the Superior Court of Los Angeles ruled once and for all that Jews had indeed been gassed to death in Auschwitz. It was the first time a court in the United States had ruled that the existence of the Holocaust was something that did not need to be proved when it arose in a court case.

Judge Johnson’s “judicial notice”, acknowledging the incontrovertibility of the fact that Jews had been gassed in Auschwitz, came in the case of survivor Mel Mermelstein. He had sued the Institute for Historical Review, a self-styled “revisionist” group, when it refused to pay him the sum of $50,000, which it had promised to pay for “verifiable proof that gas chambers for the purpose of killing human beings existed at or in Auschwitz.”

The notice didn’t mark the end of the judicial proceedings, but it virtually guaranteed that Mermelstein would win his case if and when it went to trial.

What qualifications did the judge have to rule on the existence of gas chambers in the Holocaust?  Had he gone to Auschwitz-Birkenau and examined the ruins of Gas Chamber No. 5, where the relatives of Mermelstein had been gassed?  No, of course not!  The judge was qualified to rule on this case because he was a judge.

Keep in mind that, in 19 countries today, you could wind up in prison for 5 years or more for denying the Judge’s ruling.

Gas chamber number 4 at Auschwitz was exactly like Gas Chamber 5.

Gas Chamber number 4 at Auschwitz was exactly like Gas Chamber 5

The photograph above shows the gas chamber building known as Crematorium IV, or Krema IV, taken in the Summer of 1943 after it became operational.

This building was blown up by Jewish inmates in a camp rebellion on October 7, 1944. The Krema IV gas chamber, disguised as a shower room, was located above ground in the wing of the building which is to the left in the picture. Note that the roof line of the gas chamber is lower than the roof of the main part of the building. Zyklon-B poison gas pellets were thrown into the fake shower room through windows on the outside wall of the gas chamber. (Don’t laugh — the Nazis were very advanced in scientific matters. They had the best engineers in the world.)

Sorry, but I can’t find a photo of Krema V, which was a mirror image of Krema IV.

A group of Jews pause for a photo as they head for the Krema V gas chamber

A group of Jews pause for a photo as they head for the Krema IV or Krema V gas chambers

In the far right hand corner of the photo immediately above, you can see a gate into the section of Auschwitz-Birkenau where the Sauna was located.

My 2007 photo of the gate into the section where Krema 5 was located

My 2007 photo of the gate into the section where Krema V was located (Click to enlarge)

The Sauna was the building where there was a shower room for the prisoners who were not gassed. Across the road, was the place where gas chambers No. 4 and 5 were located.

Are the Jews in the photo above headed to the shower room in the Sauna, or to a gas chamber?  It is impossible to determine their fate. Some of them look as if they are capable of working, but this would not have precluded gassing.  There was no rhyme nor reason for the gassing selections.

The Sauna was located across the road from gas chambers Number IV and V

The Sauna was located across the road from gas chambers Number IV and V

In a book entitled An Uncertain Hour, the author, Ted Morgan, wrote about a survivor named Otto Abramovic who stayed behind when the Auschwitz-Birkenau prisoners were evacuated on January 18, 1945. “He hid out in the area around Canada, which he knew well, and when the Russians arrived on January 27, he was there to greet them, for he spoke some Russian. He became their guide to scenic Canada, with its mountains and rivers – mountains of clothing, mountains of shoes, rivers of hair, rivers of gold teeth.” Other sources claim that the Nazis set fire to the buildings in “Canada” before they left.

At the end of October 1944, Heinrich Himmler had ordered gassing with Zyklon-B to be stopped, according to a guide book sold at Auschwitz; the last “selection” of prisoners was on October 30, 1944.

This decision, according to the guidebook, was prompted by the liberation of Majdanek and the discovery, by soldiers of the Soviet Union, of the incriminating evidence of 500 cans of Zyklon-B and three remaining gas chambers with blue stains on the walls, left by the gas. His decision was also influenced by the camp uprising when Crematorium IV was blown up by prisoners who used dynamite that had been smuggled in by women inmates who worked in factories outside the camp.

Crematorium V was blown up by the Nazis on Jan. 26, 1945, only the day before the 60th Army of the First Ukrainian Front arrived to liberate the remaining prisoners. Crematorium V was outside the barbed wire enclosure of the barracks and across an interior camp road from Crematorium IV.